Monday, September 20, 2010
JULAU (Sarawak): The Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (SKMM) is no slacker in taking action against those who abuse the Internet, Information, Communications and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Dr Rais Yatim said.
"We have taken action, are taking action and will take action against offenders. But we need to be very cautious because the cyberworld is very complicated," he told the media after launching the second "Kampung WiFi" network at Rh Guntol, Nanga Bekiok, in Merurun here.
"What the public does not know is that there are many things which we do confidentially ... that we do not air out. But SKMM has done its job well."
Rais said that for instance 13 cases had been forwarded to the Attorney-General's chambers, of which six had been made known to the public.
These involved belittling the Yang di-Pertuan Agong and the sultans of Perak and Johor, despising other religions, instigations, spreading lies, phishing, and making sensitive racial sentiments.
"It is for the Attorney-General's chambers to make the final decision," he said.
He said some 503 websites are being looked at by the SKMM for various offences.
Efforts are being made to improve enforcement units in terms of acquiring more computer forensics experts, training and relevant equipment.
Rais said Sarawak has a bright future in communications development and that in about two years from now, it will have one of the fastest and best systems in place.
"Beginning this year, we are going to build 203 communications towers statewide," he said.
"In addition to that, the rural areas will get special attention from my ministry, specifically in improving TV and radio transmissions with the assistance of Astro, RTM and the local authorities," he said.
He said his ministry has requested for telcos, including Telekom Malaysia, Celcom, U-Mobile and Maxis, to postpone their intention to take back 161 towers that they built statewide.
He said the towers, with the 203 that the Government was building, would help push the state's broadband penetration to 37.9% by the end of the year, from the current 26%.
"Nationwide, we are very confident of achieving the 50% penetration level by the end of this year," he said. - Bernama
Tuesday, September 14, 2010
Monday, September 13, 2010
Sunday, September 12, 2010
BEKASI, KOMPAS.com — Tindak kekerasan terhadap kebebasan beragama di Indonesia kembali terjadi. Minggu pagi ini sekitar pukul 09.00, dua pendeta di Gereja Huria Kristen Batak Protestan (HKBP) Ciketing, Bekasi, dipukuli dan ditusuk.
Informasi ini dibenarkan oleh petugas jaga Kepolisian Resor Bekasi Aiptu Daimun yang dihubungi Kompas.com. "Benar, laporannya begitu. Kejadiannya sekitar pukul 09.00, sekarang petugas sedang di TKP semua. Saya belum mendapat informasi lanjutan. Polda juga terus telepon tanya-tanya ke sini," kata Daimun.
Daimun menjelaskan, lokasi kejadian berada di HKBP Ciketing, Jalan Ciketing Asem RT 03/RW 06, Mustika Jaya, Mustika Sari, Bekasi. "Itu tempatnya sama dengan yang ribut-ribut dulu," kata Daimun.
Sementara itu, Pdt Leonard Nababan, gembala sidang di HKBP Bekasi yang dihubungi Kompas.com, memaparkan bahwa korban penusukan bernama Pdt ST Sihombing. Menurut Nababan, Sihombing sedang berjalan kaki menuju gereja, sekitar pukul 08.30. Saat itu penusukan terjadi. Pelaku menggunakan sepeda motor dan langsung melarikan diri setelah menusuk.
Informasi pertama mengenai tindakan kekerasan ini pertama kali beredar luas di jajaring Twitter. Disebutkan, Pdt Luspida Simandjuntak dipukuli dan satu pendeta lain (Pdt ST Sihombing) ditusuk benda tajam menjelang ibadah. Disebutkan juga, salah satu pendeta saat ini dilarikan ke rumah sakit Mitra Keluarga Bekasi karena kritis akibat pendarahan.